Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Today's update

the last post was written last night, but I was too tired to upload it last night.
I found the membership cards actually quite easily.
Anyhow the main update is that I received the written decision about the home ed application, and have 3 weeks to appeal. In fact I think it's 3 weeks from the meeting date so have less time to get it in. I thought I'd have the whole summer to do this, but now with baby delivery looking ominous I've just got to get on with it. The written letter also put that they think it will be hard for me to provide the same opportunities and knowledge that they can get in school. When did he mention this in the meeting?!
If anyone has some up to date evidence about social skills development in children who are home educated versus school (obviously positive for home ed) then please paste the link, so I can have more evidence to back me up inshAllah.

6 comments:

Sofinee Harun said...

Salam UmSuhayb,

Hope this will help. I try to find more when I can.

http://www.cnsnews.com/culture/archive/200110/cul20011023a.html

http://school.familyeducation.com/home-schooling/social-skills/41111.html

Make du'a. Do 12 rakaat hajat prayer. Insya ALlah, Allah won't let you down. If it's not going your ways, remember that it might have a benefit that you might not see it yet because Allah know best.

You have good intention and good heart to educate your children. Although if they can't homeschool, I believe your intention and worries as a mum will not let you children gone astray. Trust in Allah..

Henry Cate said...

"If anyone has some up to date evidence about social skills development in children who are home educated versus school (obviously positive for home ed) then please paste the link, so I can have more evidence to back me up inshAllah."

You might check out Brian Ray's Home Educated and Now Adults.

Anonymous said...

I've just been catching up on your blog and it seems you are blossoming all over!

I don't know what to say about the verdic the LEA have given you, as I wasn't aware that there was 'skole pligt' in Sweden, I thought that there was was compulsory education but not compulsory school....

I think that perhaps a really good way to dash off a quick appeal could be to include some links etc, but also to just say: well, it's a large family you have, and to write out a kind of list of weekly social opportunities they have.

But as you know, I struggle with my own stuff right now and all I can say is that I well know that feeling of needing to persuade some officious guy sitting in an office that there is a world outside his tiny tiny sphere of understanding.

xxx

EF x

Anonymous said...

oh yes, and the first real home educators I ever met (many years ago) came from Sweden. In the more remote places I spose they get away with it more.

EF x

UmSuhayb b David said...

EF -if I could have given birth to at least 20 other children of roughly the same age (which is not physically possible) then maybe they'd be satisfied, oh no, then they would still be my own choice of companions for them, not randomly selected children that happened to be born in the same year and city as them.:(

UmSuhayb b David said...

ummi and Henry -thankyou for the links